In this track, we aim to create an interdisciplinary sharing environment for contemporary research in interiors by focusing on the theoretical foundations of practices of interior architecture and design, and by synthesizing theoretical and practical knowledge through discussion of issues in design, culture, environment, and behavior. Today, research, projects, and applications involving design, culture, environment, and behavior relations have an essential place within interiors. Accordingly, we offer this track to exchange ideas and benefit from mutual experiences. These may include the contributions of design history studies to the analysis of cultural codes, methods of solving interior spaces serving different uses with contemporary design approaches by providing interdisciplinary cooperation, and analysis of new forms of relationship between behavior and space. We welcome proposals covering theory, history, practice, and/or education regarding expansions and representations of interiors in different disciplines, their solutions in various building types, and their evaluation with current discussions and approaches.
- Cultural codes in relation to interiors
- Interiors in housing studies/domestic interiors
- Specialized topics in interiors: exhibition design, retail design, healthcare design, etc.
- Interdisciplinary nature of interiors: art, product design, graphic design, fashion, photography, cinema, literature, philosophy
- Urban/public interiors
- Educational tools and tactics for interior architecture and design education
- Historical studies of interiors: spatial reflections of pandemics/epidemics in history, history of modern interiors, interior designers in history
- The body, behavior, and space: environmental psychology, perception of interior spaces, design for aging, queer design, etc.
Track 3: Environmental Systems and Technology
In this track, we aim to attract researchers wishing to contribute to CII in environmental control, construction and technology. The objective of this track is to establish a collaborative platform that encourages the exchange of interdisciplinary ideas and research related to Environmental systems and technology. In interiors, modern technologies such as artificial intelligence, simulations, and experimental methods are utilized to create more comfortable and innovative spaces. However, the task of designing spaces that are both sustainable and healthier has become increasingly challenging. Furthermore, integrating environmental systems into visually appealing designs has proven to be a complex endeavor. We are seeking for proposals covering interior architecture and environmental control, such as green building technologies, indoor comfort, sustainable interiors, building information technologies, and artificial intelligence in design. Additionally, we encourage proposals related to building components and building information modeling.
- Healthier and safer interiors
- Sustainable interior design, renovations, and green building technologies
- Eco housing, low-energy houses, net zero-energy design
- Passive interior design systems, low-emitting materials
- Indoor comfort; natural lighting, artificial lighting, acoustics, thermal comfort, and occupant wellbeing
- Building components, systems and finishing materials
- Building information technologies and modeling, life cycle and circular construction, automation and robotics, virtual and augmented reality, software development
- Artificial intelligence in interiors